What is the condition of your braces? Have you been cleaning them and your teeth? When implementing your brushing and flossing routine while wearing braces, exercise caution and brush slowly and safety to avoid accidentally breaking them. Because flossing can be difficult with braces, it may be necessary to add an extra level of treatment such as mouthwash. In addition, follow these important tips to keep your braces clean and robust:
– Always take the time to clean your retainer and keep it clear from germs and contamination.
– Always attend any orthodontic checkups that you have with your orthodontist.
– If any wires break or snap off your braces, cover the broken piece with a ball of wax and call your orthodontist immediately.
– Circumvent foods and snacks that can get easily stuck in between your braces and teeth, including chewy candies, hard or tough foods and snacks, and various types of nuts.
– Always wear safety equipment when playing contact sports or doing high-risk activities, including mouth guards, face masks, helmets, and any other safety gear that can be used to protect your mouth.
– Even with braces, you should still brush your teeth twice daily and floss once daily.
No matter which orthodontic treatment you desire, Dr. Christopher Liang and our team at Straight Smile will make sure that your teeth are properly treated. To schedule an oral exam at our office in College Park, Maryland, please contact us at 301-841-9348. A healthy smile is a happy smile!