A malocclusion is a form of bad bites that is caused by misalignments within your teeth and jaw. Most malocclusions are treatable with orthodontic care. The different types of common malocclusions are as follows:
– Misplaced midlines are malocclusions that occur when the center of your upper and lower teeth do not connect.
– Crossbites are malocclusions that occur when each jawbone fails to line up correctly.
– Underbites, also called bulldog teeth, are malocclusions that occur when the bottom row of teeth juts out past the upper row.
– Overbites, also called upper protrusions or bulldog teeth, are malocclusions that occur when the upper row of teeth jut out past the bottom row.
– Rotation malocclusions are malocclusions that occur when teeth are shifted out of alignment.
– Spacing malocclusions are malocclusions that result in abnormal gaps and voids between teeth.
– Transposition malocclusions are malocclusions that occur beneath the gum line, resulting in teeth erupting in the wrong places.
– Deep bites are malocclusions that act as severe forms of overbites.
If you would like to have your malocclusions inspected by our team at Straight Smile, please schedule an appointment with Drs. Liang and Liang, our orthodontists in College Park, Maryland. To schedule a visit, please call us at 301-841-9348. We look forward to seeing you soon!